I don't have a lot more to report, but I also don't have a lot more to do in the next couple of hours and I have access to the Internet for at least another hour, so I guess I'll just keep blogging.
Although my layover in Sweden was mostly just the way my flights worked out, my arrival in this country (if you count airports as arrivals, which I usually don't, but maybe this time I will) means that I have visited every country from which I have known ancestors. England, ireland, french canada, and sweden. Now this list is nowhere near as long as that of many people, and I'm still far from an expert on any one of those places, but even just the process of traveling to all of these places makes me marvel a bit. I am sure that my great great grandmothers journey to the us from Sweden took a lot longer than 8 hours, and she probably didn't have inflight movies to pass the time. I guess what I think is the most impressive is that people have been traveling around the world, just like I'm doing, for hundreds and even thousands of years. My very existence is based on these adventures. Compared with moving to the states (or colonies) from Sweden or England or everywhere else, my brief trip to Moscow is kind of mundane, and somehow I take comfort in that.
PS I promise all my posts won't be so introspective, I slept for max. 45 minutes on the plane.

No comments:
Post a Comment