My apologies that it's been over a month since my last entry! I guess nagging works, because I can only stand so many emails signed "blog entry?" "Where's the blog entry" "No blog entry in December?" instead of the traditional "Love, Dad". (Sorry, Dad).
Anyways, it's been a busy month, as December often is, but I have an hour before my flight home (!!!) boards, so I thought I'd catch you all up on the last month in the life of Molly in Moscow.
One of the things I anticipated being the hardest about living out of the US for a year is being away for the holidays. I'm lucky enough to be going back for Christmas, but it turns out the Russian calendar of Federal holidays doesn't really care when the Pilgrims broke bread with the Native Americans, so I worked on Thanksgiving. While my youngest students did make hand-turkeys and I got a chance to Skype with my family post-the big meal, that Thursday didn't really feel like Thanksgiving.
Fortunately, I wasn't the only ex-pat who was feeling unfestive. The search for a large turkey proved fruitless, and our options were some expensive "baby turkeys" or good old chickens. Since we were planning to feed a verifiable army (approximately 30 people), and most people either didn't know what they were missing or didn't care, we opted for the chickens. 6 of them.
![]() |
| The 6 chickens, before |
| Mid-prep, we needed 2 ovens to cook them all! |
![]() |
| Cooked, maybe as good as turkey! |
Here's our table:
Of course, no Thanksgiving would be complete without the pie. We tried without success to find pumpkin, so pumpkin pie was sadly absent from our meal, but I did make an apple pie from scratch. No big deal.
All in all, it was a great day. While it was still hard to be away from family on this holiday that's mostly about family, getting to share this tradition with new friends, many of whom had their very first Thanksgivings, made it just a little bit easier.





No comments:
Post a Comment