Once again, I need to apologize that it's been almost a month since my last entry. The end of January/ beginning of February has been very busy, mostly with a lot of working, which I won't bore you with, except to say that I recently inherited a class of 3 year olds, which is...an adventure. While their ability to mock the sounds they hear is actually pretty cool, their ability to have an attention span is non-existent. Coupled with that is the fact that my experience with children of this age group consists of the one or two times I babysat for the girl down the street when I was 13. Admittedly I've been teaching a class of 5 year olds since October and they could tell you colors, parts of the face, some action verbs and some animals, but anyone who argues that 5 year olds and 3 year olds are the same hasn't been alone in a classroom with both of them. 5 year olds can use scissors. They can follow simple instructions. They can even play games, sometimes even with a winner and a loser (though there were recently some tears over a close game of tic-tac-toe, but really, being a sore loser is not a quality that is unique to five year olds, sadly). Anyways, I currently teach children under the age of 6 Monday-Thursday. I never saw myself as a pre-K/K teacher, but I guess I kind of am? It's challenging, but I get to sing a lot of songs, play some games, and do crafts, so I don't hate it.
Anyways, I started this entry by saying I wouldn't bore you with details of working and then I wrote a whole long paragraph about it. In my free time, I've managed to get out and do a few fun things. The cold weather I mentioned in the last post extended for a while (but so did the sun, so I won't complain about that) I experienced -20 F weather, which was a first! I think we've gone beyond that though, and we're starting to get into the awkward period of pre-Spring, where everything is still cold (relatively, it's currently 37 F), but it's also very gray and wet. I'm not naive enough to think that winter in Moscow is really ending in mid-February, but it has been warmer recently.
So, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to go to a museum after a morning of professional development in the city center. Through the powers of Google, I ended up at the museum of Paleontology. I didn't understand a lot of what was written on the plaques (because my knowledge of both Russian and Geology/Paleontology is limited and combined it's almost non-existent), but I did get to see a lot of dinosaurs. Here are a few:
On a separate excursion, I went with some friends to an Upside-Down House:
![]() |
| Disclaimer: Minor Photoshop was used in this photo, but you can't tell, can you? |
The other thing that has happened recently is the Olympics, which I started writing about, but I realized I have a lot of feelings about that, so I'm going to post about that separately. From here, here's to lots of crafts with little kids and weird museums!


No comments:
Post a Comment