Friday, August 30, 2013

Moscow!

I've arrived in Moscow and have had a very busy day and a half. I ventured out last night to a shopping complex where there was a grocery store and many different other kinds of stores. There, I got myself set up with a SIM card for my phone, some Russian money, and some basic groceries.

Today, I needed to go to language link to get some paperwork started to be processed. I had to ride the bus by myself for the first time, but fortunately I was riding it all the way to the last stop. I still wasn't really sure if I had arrived at my stop, and then all of a sudden I looked around and there was no one left, so I realized it was time to get off. After that, I met a few other people who are also going to be teacher-interns. We spent the day exploring parts of the city. I think we visited part of the Kremlin, but then we definitely went to the World War II museum, which, told from a Russian perspective was very interesting.

Later, we went to Gorky Park, which was my favorite place so far. It's a very expansive park by the river in Moscow. There are pillow/mattresses around to relax on, an amphitheater, ping pong tables and a beach volleyball set-up, and roller skate rentals. I'm attaching some pictures of the day.
Spending tomorrow meeting the rest of the interns and starting training on Monday.

More soon!
The Bolshoi Theater


Some impersonators having a meaningful conversation.

Monument outside of the WWII museum

WWII museum

Hall of Memory and Sorrow. There are brass pendants hanging from the ceiling with crystals representing tears.

Comrade Lenin, in his best underwear model pose.

I <3 Moscow.

Couch/Mattresses in Gorky Park.

The view from my apartment.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure I would be brave enough to do what you are doing. Cannot wait to see how it all unfolds!

    ReplyDelete